What spark plug spanner do you use!

1969Mk3Spitfire

What do you guys use to remove the plug from number 3 cylinder where the designers thoughtfully hid it behind the dizzy? 

I use a spanner that I bought in 1970 for use in my Lambretta days. It is a completely open box with handle/lever welded at about 45 degrees. The AF fit is sloppy and before now, if the plug is really tight, I’ve broken the insulator due to it rocking. 

Now that it is being pressed back into service I could probably fashion a rubber bung to keep it straight (common with plug spanners) or I could splash out on a new one that works on No 3 cylinder.

Any recommendations?

I have no problems with my 13/60. I use a standard socket drive set and spark plug socket. Ok, it is a bit close but passes.

Maybe you all need to sell your weird cars and buy a proper one, a 13/60.

I've already got my coat and am running for the door. 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Maybe you all need to sell your weird cars and buy a proper one, a 13/60.

I've already got my coat and am running for the door. 😱

I'll join you. I love the smaller engines, simple to work on, loads of room round them and light enough to pick up and carry. I cheated and bought a Vitesse-bonnet Herald 13/60.... looks like the big brother but small engine. Best of both worlds!

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

at £62 i wonder about that like  a bad dream 

as ive only ever used a 14mm plug socket and extn bar to twiddle all the cars ive twiddled often with a impact driver to whizz them out 

Pete

I got mine years ago 2nd hand on Ebay. 

I recall that it was less than £10 delivered.

36 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

used to like snap on  till i bought 2 pozidrivers  completely useless  they exchanged them twice   but soft and useless  they now get used as as a spike 

the old blue handles Stanley's  are 25+ years old and just go on and on 

pete

Yes, I was fighting against two Pozidrives earlier today that wore away like a leper in a wind tunnel as soon as they touched the screw. I ended up with a multi-screwdriver type thingy and just replaced the bits as they wore.

My cordless screwdriver is excellent at making nails; just put a cheap bit in it, press against the screw and press the switch. In seconds, one completely bare metal cylinder.

On 07/09/2021 at 17:46, Paul H said:

This is the type I use 

2429AF7A-8B26-49F5-A6D0-81AE477A6521.jpeg.4c23c661d6625171ddd56eea13682043.jpeg

Paul

I have one of this type but for the smaller thread dia plugs. I've had positive experience with it from my RS Turbo days so I did an interweb search.  It seems that Toolstation are selling their stock cheaply and will not replenish.  Hence I've just bought one for £2.15.  I had to check stock on-line at 3 branches before I found that Manchester Ancoats had stock.  Travel there was free, courtesy of my Rite of Passage concessionary Metro travel card.

Not tried it yet.  Will it bend around the distributor to remove No 3 plug..........

It seems that I need 4 different plug spanners for my Spitfire.

For No 1 and 4 Cylinder I can use my million year old 14mm, 1/2 inch socket. For No 2 I have to use a 3/8 drive because the larger diameter of the 1/2 extension just fouls on the dizzie and I don’t like to risk out of line fitting. No 3 needs the T bar to undo but will not articulate full circle so I also use my million year old box spanner with handle at 45 degrees.

Oh to the joy of Triumph designers 😀

I just use an ancient old plug  spanner with a yellow plastic  cover and T handle and a knuckle joint on the end,works for all plugs on my Herald and Vitesse no problem.

Try getting the plugs out of a Merc SL450 V8,you need 3 hands and a springy multi directional spanner.(and i managed to cross thread one the way back in).

Steve

On 08/09/2021 at 20:12, Pete Lewis said:

used to like snap on  till i bought 2 pozidrivers  completely useless  they exchanged them twice   but soft and useless  they now get used as as a spike 

the old blue handles Stanley's  are 25+ years old and just go on and on 

pete

I have some red handled Stanley’s. The very big one was damaged probably by misuse as a kid of 17 or 18 On car. The terminal screwdriver was superb and is sorely missed as it got stolen. 

Wera are my current driver of choice. Not cheap but not made of cheese either.