Car Lifts

Andrew

Hello Guys and Girls.

Comments and suggestions please.  I have a Herald 13/60.  I keep looking and researching car lifts that I can use in my garage at home.  There are various makes available that lift the car to approx three feet off the ground which is ideal.  The question is they all lift the car under the chassis rails and on normal cars the chassis rails run down each side of the vehicle.  As we all know on a Herald the chassis rails run down the centre of the car.  So how can a car lift just use the chassis rails running down the centre safely.  Has anyone purchased a Car ramp and what make does anyone recommend.  My Budget is under £1500

Suggestions and makes of ramps/lifts welcome

Regards

Andrew   

i have some CJA full length  ramps   has a 5ft run up so easy on. tyres sit on 4 pods and the bridge between them lifts up and off and is removable on castors 

this leaves the access thro the sides clear raises approx 12"   

made like the titanic ,  

thinking of selling them on 

Pete

Hi Pete would be interested in them have you got any pictures as I am not sure what they are.  I am coming to the twiddle day in April.  Roger

i have taken a look at church autos web site and yes very interesting but from what I can see there range still depends on chassis rails down the outside unless I am missing something 

thanks Andrew

cant photo the platform today but heres the drawings

it in 2 arts so sticky tape required 

the pedals lift the center bridge so its removed and car sits on the 4 pods 

the run up ramps detach , as on mine the ends  would be outside the door

its strong enough to permanently park on them  if desired 

they are heavy and more than robust

and as usual my scanner is upside down  version 

Pete

platform1004.pdf

platform2005.pdf

I spent ages thinking about lifts. There are no "ideal" jacking positions with any of the small chassis cars. The main rails are really too central, and outriggers(or silks on a spitfire) are often not all they should be.

In the end I bought a tilting lift, as sold by CJ and others. I then used 2 lengths of 6x2 timber (what I had lying about) across the car, this picks up the main rails, but also the sills. Not ideal as the exhaust usually hangs below the chassis rails. But a cutout could be made to account for that.

Anyway, not perfect, but will lift to 60cm , but usefully can be tilted. Then the front or rear of the car is probably a metre off the floor, and angled which is useful. 

If I had thought about it years ago, hen I built the garage, I may have fitted a scissor lift, but really needs a double garage as they are heavy (250kg upwards) and would be the in the way in a single garage. 2 post lifts are excellent, but need serious work in terms of footings (specific grade concrete, and deep) plus a lot of height.

So all in all difficult to find the ideal home garage solution. Ramps are useful, but the suspension is not free.

Simple solution is a decent trolley jack (500mm lift) and decent axle stands, possibly the type where pairs are joined and on castors....

The jury is out on my tilting lift. Well made, works as expected but has limitations. I may return to just using axle stands....

21 minutes ago, clive said:

Simple solution is a decent trolley jack (500mm lift) and decent axle stands, possibly the type where pairs are joined and on castors....

Following on from Clive's update, I have a pair of mobile axle stands form CJA.

They are excellent IMHO and give superb access minimum 55cm under the car with the option of taking the car higher if required; the kit also came with additional forks that will quite easily place the car at a minimum of 80cm - the latter I have never need to use.

As with all CJA kit they are seriously over-engineered but that does reflect the safety aspect and I have never at any stage been concerned about their "hold-up" capability.

With the kit being mobile it is a doddle to move the construction around the garage with a car (i.e. Vitesse) sitting on them and can be positioned tight against a wall if desired.

The kit lends itself to supporting any part of the car as required, which makes it very useful and of course the axle stand mounts can be adjusted in all directions to take consideration of the narrow chassis on some cars.

I would not be without them.

As for storage I have a couple of stout chains around the garage rafters and they sit safely stored there.

Regards.

Richard. 

2 hours ago, clive said:

There are no "ideal" jacking positions with any of the small chassis cars. The main rails are really too central, and outriggers(or silks on a spitfire) are often not all they should be.

You can jack small-chassied cars if you use the 'overlap' point where the outriggers join to the main rails; it's solid enough and certainly stable enough.

I also made a 'bridge' - prototype in photo, the real thing is nicely painted with solid rubber blocks - to lift the car around the diff area by bridging across the main rails; works perfectly and last year's 'Garage Day' saw 12 Triumphs up on it in the course of about four hours, everything from Heralds, Spitfires and GT6 to TR6.

DSCF5390.jpg.92d10a521a7f0ad5991c851c2d04d910.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

cant photo the platform today but heres the drawings

it in 2 arts so sticky tape required 

the pedals lift the center bridge so its removed and car sits on the 4 pods 

the run up ramps detach , as on mine the ends  would be outside the door

its strong enough to permanently park on them  if desired 

they are heavy and more than robust

and as usual my scanner is upside down  version 

Pete

platform1004.pdf

platform2005.pdf

platform1004.jpg

platform2005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought one of these a few weeks back.

http://www.kelston.nz/Scissor-Lift.php

At present all I know is its bloody heavy and made from thick steel with large diameter rams and takes 10 litres of oil.

Have yet to use it as was offered a good price ( a lot cheaper than listed) so bought it straight away.

At present it is leant up against the wall annoying Rhyna as its pothers her car entry and egress.

Great thing about the Vitesse is the gearbox comes out the inside of the car so no worries about the hoist being in the way.

Adrian

Edited by ahebron
added

Following various suggestions re. CJ Auto's  I looked that their website and was impressed with their 3-in-1 Tilting car lift. < https://www.cjautos.eu/NEW_3_IN_1_TILTING_CAR_LIFT_p/cl01.htm >  It would seem to be handy for lifting under backbone chassis, rather than under crusty cills (or in British English should that be sill ?).  True with VAT it's close to £500 but.. in the big / long term picture and seeing how it might ease and quicken so many tasks of restoration, and maintenance - it seems a reasonable price when, like some have said, their stuff is well engineered.   Has anyone here used one ?  ..and can give feedback.

Thanks, Bfg

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/03/2019 at 11:41, Colin Lindsay said:

You can jack small-chassied cars if you use the 'overlap' point where the outriggers join to the main rails; it's solid enough and certainly stable enough.

I also made a 'bridge' - prototype in photo, the real thing is nicely painted with solid rubber blocks - to lift the car around the diff area by bridging across the main rails; works perfectly and last year's 'Garage Day' saw 12 Triumphs up on it in the course of about four hours, everything from Heralds, Spitfires and GT6 to TR6.

DSCF5390.jpg.92d10a521a7f0ad5991c851c2d04d910.jpg

Colin

What lift have you got and what is the specification of the steel channel which you have used, I am looking to get a lIft fOR my Spitfire so would be interested in your experience in this area. I am wondering whether the Tamar lift as bvelow could be used with a similar piece of channel and rubber blocks?

https://sm-t.co.uk/product/tamar-2-7-ton-mobile-scissor-lift-manual-release/

Or has anyone used a Tamar scissor lift or similar to jack up a Spitfire?

KB