EUREKATRIUMPH

griffipaul

Enquiry on behalf of a mate....anybody had any dealing / experience with Eureka Triumph based in N Wales , He has extensive e  bay listings of engine rebuilds , head work etc at attractive prices , but have no recollection of ever  hearing of him before . Recently constructed website " in development " ….No address just a mobile number  always worries me .

thanks Paul.

1 hour ago, griffipaul said:

Enquiry on behalf of a mate....anybody had any dealing / experience with Eureka Triumph based in N Wales , He has extensive e  bay listings of engine rebuilds , head work etc at attractive prices , but have no recollection of ever  hearing of him before . Recently constructed website " in development " ….No address just a mobile number  always worries me .

thanks Paul.

Hi Paul, be very wary..... Once bitten and all that. Go off recomendation. These guy's are good   https://www.chaseengines.co.uk

I have no ties to them, only work done.

Tony.

43 minutes ago, griffipaul said:

Interesting a previous enquiry on Ct forum yielded no response whatsoever. 

I think the business in question was fairly new at the time of that enquiry, and the CT forum was fairly dead, so probably nobody with any experience would have seen the post. It's probably more telling that nobody's responded on here with any actual information.

I have heard of him but only at about two removes.  Appears to have given what I would consider questionable advice about a suitable cam upgrade (too lumpy!) for a 1500 Spit for normal road use (by a middle aged lady), though to be fair I can't be sure what the customer (the husband) gave as the brief!

Apparently the proprietor has been running and racing Triumphs for decades.  Didn't recognise the name (and since forgotten) but that doesn't mean much.

Nick

Having an idle minute I had a quick surf for this company; they've been on eBay since 2013, have 100% feedback for 233 transactions as a seller / dealer, and the name obtained from feedback was Brian, who is apparently very knowledgeable about cylinder heads. They seemed to sell a lot of polybushes for steering racks and anti-roll bars back in the earlier days but have branched out into a lot of things since.

Other than that, nothing negative.

I think I sold him a Luminition Optronic ignition kit on eBay some years ago.  I remember he had a moan because the fitting kit was missing a screw and the connector block had the wrong rubber gaiter with it. Fair enough I suppose, but he wanted £30 knocked off the price. Since it had sold for twice what I had expected it to go for, I was happy to comply. 

I think the Ivor Searle is an example of a standard build?

Yes, a reliable company, but it is possible to get cheaper rebuilds. And some are rather more expensive. (I reckon you could pay many times the 2K price for a full race engine)

I know a rebore is approx £200 I think a crank grind is about £150?

Before that is the strip, clean, check etc. And the parts on top. No cheap way out, though many engines will hugely improve with a refresh (ie hone bore, new rings polish the crank and new bearings) I built an engine in approx 2005. The build involved stripping 2 engines, weighing all the pistons and rods separately (1 piston was odd out of the 8!) Used the best crank, best head, best block. New bearings and gaskets, best timing chain and tensioner. New rings and a hone. Matched pistons/rods so as a pair they were within 1g of each other. 

Total spent was literally £10. I had NOS gaskets, bearings etc that were a pound or 2 a set when purchased at jumbles. And that engine REALLY went well. I should have kept it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clive said:

I know a rebore is approx £200 I think a crank grind is about £150?

That's the clincher really - does it need a rebore or doesn't it... A flat rebuild cost with somebody doing it professionally will factor in having to do a certain proportion of blocks out of every 10 or so that they do. 

I got away with a polish on the crank rather than a grind, so that saved me some money. 

IIRC I recently paid about 250 for a rebore AND piston set, a further 120 for a crank polish and full set of (good brand) bearings. Then there's the oil pump.. reface etc or new required? (another 60?) Head work etc. would be on top, then labour etc. I wouldn't be prepared to try and do it as a business for any less than £2K flat price. (Time and materials would be a better bet, but how many customers want to commit to something without knowing the price up front?!)

42 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

That's the clincher really - does it need a rebore or doesn't it... A flat rebuild cost with somebody doing it professionally will factor in having to do a certain proportion of blocks out of every 10 or so that they do. 

I got away with a polish on the crank rather than a grind, so that saved me some money. 

IIRC I recently paid about 250 for a rebore AND piston set, a further 120 for a crank polish and full set of (good brand) bearings. Then there's the oil pump.. reface etc or new required? (another 60?) Head work etc. would be on top, then labour etc. I wouldn't be prepared to try and do it as a business for any less than £2K flat price. (Time and materials would be a better bet, but how many customers want to commit to something without knowing the price up front?!)

That's the clincher. I'm dithering over a 1200 engine at present; a mild lip on two cylinders only but I reckon it will cost me around £300 minimum for a light bore and replacement pistons. Others have advised me that it doesn't require any work at all, but they're not experts. So: do I have the engine checked over by the local company who are by all accounts quite pricey, and who are insisting that they supply pistons, and trust that they will not go ahead with any unnecessary work, or do I risk a simple hone and new rings? Crank is fine, I have good bearings already purchased, but I don't want to throw hard-earned cash away on something I don't really need. I just can't find anyone to give me a definite yes or no, without charging money up front. The photo shows the worst piston, and it's barely a fingernail-scratchable mark.

DSCF7793.jpg.420b8d493d6e7a08752443c7c1014f0e.jpg

I have to agree with Clive and Sam, it is possible in a lot of engines just to give them a refurb. If you are intending to race a car or use it for track days??? Then go the whole hog, but measuring is the key factor and taking your time and running it in correctly.

Tony.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's the clincher. I'm dithering over a 1200 engine at present; a mild lip on two cylinders only but I reckon it will cost me around £300 minimum for a light bore and replacement pistons. Others have advised me that it doesn't require any work at all, but they're not experts. So: do I have the engine checked over by the local company who are by all accounts quite pricey, and who are insisting that they supply pistons, and trust that they will not go ahead with any unnecessary work, or do I risk a simple hone and new rings? Crank is fine, I have good bearings already purchased, but I don't want to throw hard-earned cash away on something I don't really need. I just can't find anyone to give me a definite yes or no, without charging money up front. The photo shows the worst piston, and it's barely a fingernail-scratchable mark.

DSCF7793.jpg.420b8d493d6e7a08752443c7c1014f0e.jpg

If that was my engine Colin? I would hone the bores and fit new rings... I know scraping the piston ring grooves is a boring job, but it works, and how many miles are you looking to do on the engine? A new set of rings should be good for 20k at least :) 

Tony. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i would hone  or   just  glaze bust  and  fit new rings  with a step ring on the top ring , youre not tearing around  with 39hp no point in spending 1-2k for a few hundred miles a year 

its the old compromise or utopia syndrome .

pete

Hi Pete would that be your advice for a 6 pot ? 

Paul 

2 hours ago, poppyman said:

If that was my engine Colin? I would hone the bores and fit new rings... I know scraping the piston ring grooves is a boring job, but it works, and how many miles are you looking to do on the engine? A new set of rings should be good for 20k at least :) 

Tony. 

I like the sound of that, Tony. All else seems okay, and the head is already well on the way to being refurbished. As for mileage, 500 - 1000 per year, max.