Grease gun

Adrian

Hi all. I have a Hilka pro grease gun. Never used before and I’ve never used one before. Basically before I file it under B1N as rubbish I wanted to check with you chaps that I’m not doing anything wrong.

loading, as per instructions and a product specific YouTube demo. Pull spring handle back, insert grease cartridge, screw top back on (not all the way). Release spring making sure plunger is engaged in cartridge, couple of pumps to purge air lock then tighten. Job done, or not. I have absolutely no pressure when pumping. Is it me or the gun. I thought a £20 mid range one should do maybe the club one would be better but £40 is expensive if it’s me. Or if you have any suggestions for alternatives.

any help much appreciated

I concur with Paul. His situation sounds very much like mine. I bought a pair off fleabay, both leaked. A new set of washers for both. One now filled with ep90 the other with standard grease. Made for the job. I would use no other. Some tools are built for life and I beleive that Wanner guns are one of those products. You can also pick them up faily cheaply if you are prepared to wait. Some people just don't know the value of what they are selling, not just in money, but quality. You won't regret waiting for the best.

Aidrian - Just a thought, check that the plunger pull chain hasn't engaged in the end cap, so retaining the spring plunger. This has happened to me several times, usually when upside down doing front/back. Not easy to spot initially!! This is the sort of thing you need:    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Wanner-Grease-Gun-Hand-Held-High-Pressure-Grease-Swiss/153457140648?hash=item23bac223a8:g:AhcAAOSwvC1cuaif

1 hour ago, Adrian said:

maybe the club one would be better but £40 is expensive

I bought the club shop one when it was a lot cheaper, however what you don't realise from the picture is it is ENORMOUS. If your trunnion nipples are angle towards the bulk head, you wont get it in. I've now bought a Wanner and the Pumpinator is going on Fleabay.

The Pumpinator with a pint.

SL380700.thumb.JPG.6f3c32c2385436933101e51ceff5da50.JPG

Doug

Pete, yes cap off bottom and pulled the seal off top. If I remove the nozzle the grease seeps under spring pressure. Just need the pump pressure to feed the grease nipple. I might try an clean out the pump mechanism. Amazing, practically rebuilt the mini but failed dramatically on a simple tool!

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

And thats from the  sunny leaping salmon cafe 

Nope, still at home, departure delayed until tomorrow am. And Leaping Salmon ain't a café, nor is it sunny. They sell a strange fluid called "heavy" which has some similarities with beer.

Doug

I had one do the same Adrian, damn thing would not bleed...... So in a paddy threw it down the garden where it lay for a week. Eventually picked it up to throw in bin, though i will give it one last pump...... Been working perfectly ever since. It lay in the garden with the arm extended.... Might be worth a try? I also used a cartridge. Wanner are the best, but i cant remember who borrowed it....

Tony. 

Another vote for Wanner 315 bought this of eBay quite cheap a while back, never been used has a Co-op price sticker of £4-16 always preferred grease guns with a chain for the plunger as not so bulky.

Have others one with grease the other EP90 GL4.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20190429_092828.jpg

Adrian, if you're is the one Screwfix sell I've got a similar one (probably Machine Mart) and while they are a PITA they do usually work after a bit of fiddling and frustration.

1. Try pressing the plunger release button/leaver - mine tends to catch and keep re-locking itself, stopping the plunger moving any further.
2. Try opening the allen key blead vent on the top.
3. Try tapping it against the wall.
4. If this is the very first time you've used it take the top off and try to push grease in to the cap with your fingers to try and prime it.

In my experience no pressure when pumping means an air lock but once you get it going it's fine (till the plunger release catches and you have to flick the button).

Thanks for all or the replies. I bought another one from screwfix last night and VERY carefully filled it following all of the guidance instructions. Instantly noticed pressure at the handle so there must have been a fault with the original - all greased up now! I'll take the other one back for a refund! BUT I will look out for a Wanner for ep90.

Thanks

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2019 at 20:44, Badwolf said:

Never used a cartridge type gun. More fun filling up from a can of grease, feeling it ouse between your fingers and slide out of the tip of the gun....... I really need to get out more... or take more water with it!!!

Yes, I'm the same. I don't use the gun for anything else so just keep it full of fresh grease. Also had to buy 100 XL rubber gloves at the weekend due to greasing bearings by hand, too. Much more hands-on... :)

The filling process of most grease guns is  primitive , fiddly, time consuming and extremely messy.

Wanner has a floating plunger device that allows  filling by pressing  the  body of the gun  down over the hole in the plastic cover that sits on top of the grease in standard grease tub(1)

Fills it in about a second -no mess(2)

(1)

B7C1C1AE-1F95-4B05-9972-D3AAAABB2E13.jpeg

(2)

C71086C6-CE20-47E6-8617-E99FF6E47494.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve found a Wagner grease gun in an old box of tools, no idea of the model. Given it a quick clean up, emptied as much of the manky grease so now need to refill. I’m guessing this should be filled as vanadium23 post, locally the grease seems to be cartridges, is there a way of filling or am I better ordering some Castrol LM in a tub. 

Ive got no instructions so any pointers what the valve on the rear does or the bolt on the top?

1FF8A198-26CD-4679-AA5F-3F4056484B13.jpeg

Pull the plunger back down the handle via the black handle/chain and then latch the chain into the keyhole slot. Unscrew handle and press grease into handle. Re attach handle and release chain/ plunger. Open the air breather cap, located below the hanging loop. Release air and when grease starts to come out, close breather cap. Now start greasing.

Graham

• Thanks 1