Looking for a spitfire

The engine won't pink until you drive it and put your foot down, I'm sure Clive meant to say that. This is simples, slacken the clamp, turn the dizzy slightly and slowly one way and the revs drop, turn it the other and they rise, to a plateau. Turn the dizzy still it stops rising then back a gnats. Drive it, if it pinks back some more.

Doug

There is a Tesco fuel station a couple of miles from where the car is. Presumably it wouldn't do much harm to drive there and put some better grade petrol in to see how that goes? There's a Sainsbury's even closer. Is their premium fuel any good?

Otherwise, would putting some of this - https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/millers-petrol-power-ecomax-500ml - in the tank be likely to make enough difference? Or perhaps, this - https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/redex-octane-booster-0-60-petrol-500ml

If possible I'd rather not try and adjust the timing just before driving back, in case of getting it very wrong...

So, apart from a 7/16 spanner, is there anything else anyone would say I should definitely take to get out of minor troubles?

Edited by chris.eg
added another link

Personally, I'd fill up with some premium grade fuel, or add some Millers VPSE if the tank is pretty much full (or both!), then drive it home. If it still pinks under load when the lower grade fuel has been used, then think about tweaking the timing.

Gully

11 minutes ago, Gully said:

If it still pinks under load when the lower grade fuel has been used, then think about tweaking the timing.

Wouldn't I cause significant damage driving it that far (180ish miles) with the engine pinking? Forgive me if that's a stupid question ?

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

It ought to only pink under load, if you can hear it pinking when cruising then something very wrong, or it isn't pinking.

Out of interest, what would cause this? But don't worry, it was only just audible and when working quite hard.

I'd also check there's engine oil in the dash pots before setting off - if not, you'll get a weak mixture when you first try to push on which will cause or contribute to pinking.

As others have said, if it's not pinking constantly, you're unlikely to do any harm - it's probably been running in that state of tune (unless it is fuel related) for some time!

Gully

Chris, Hopefully you are back home in one piece, therefore nothing too catastrophically amiss.  Sure somebody in your local group would willingly put an experienced eye/ear to the noise  and set your mind at rest. Steadily and methodically working through a service schedule would be a good start.   Old classic cars do make different sounds to moderns, the trick is spotting them and noting when a new one arrives!  Dick

2 hours ago, chris.eg said:

So, if the pinning is bad enough to cause damage, would it get quite loud or still just a really gentle tinkling?

As a rule, mild pinking on a road car engine that goes away at light load won't cause damage. If you have heavy pinking, and it's still there at high engine speeds, and you drive it hard for a long distance, then you can damage things. Pinking can also cause big damage if you have a Formula 1 engine with paper-thin pistons to minimise reciprocating mass....

Motorways are simple driving, provided you stay in the inside lane and keep to about 50. It's not as hectic as fighting a strange car through smaller roads.

Make sure your tyres are all at good pressure before hitting any kind of speed; I've driven a newly purchased Triumph up the M6 for two or three hours then stopped at services and found one of the tyres at 12psi. Not great for corners!

2 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

whats your route back?

49 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Motorways are simple driving

I'm setting off from Pinhoe and will probably do a bit along the B3181 as far as Cullompton then onto the M5 north, then I can't decide either M5, M6 round Birmingham (but I think it'll be really busy by the time I get there) OR off M5 at j6, A449 to Kidderminster, A442 to Shifnal then onto the A5 east at which point I'd be pretty much home and dry.

In a way the motorway seems the easy option, but I'm aware that a Spitfire isn't really a motorway sort of car. I also get the impression I'd run the risk of overheating if I'm sat for ages in slow/stationary traffic around Birmingham which is certainly more than possible at that time. Perhaps I'm worrying too much about this and should just get on with it? I can't wait to have the car at home :)

1 minute ago, Anglefire said:

What time will you hit Birmingham?

Not really sure. My train arrives in Exeter 12.40, the seller will pick me up from the station (10 minutes) then I will need to sort paying, the registration document and tax (I guess 30 minutes), get fuel and then set off. I imagine I would be on the way by 2pm. Not really sure how long it would take to get to Birmingham going steadily, but I guess right around 5pm...