Leaving the spare wheel behind.

brian GT6.

15 hours ago, poppyman said:

No place to put one in my VW  :(  Not even a jack or wheel brace, just the blow and stop where you are kit..............

Tony. 

luckily in both mine the puncture can and compressor sit in a big polystyrene slab that I can lift out and put a spare, my cars are of older design and still have a spare wheel well. I guess new car designs the floor will be flat and therefore more difficult to carry a spare.

1 hour ago, Ian Faulds said:

luckily in both mine the puncture can and compressor sit in a big polystyrene slab that I can lift out and put a spare, my cars are of older design and still have a spare wheel well. I guess new car designs the floor will be flat and therefore more difficult to carry a spare.

My problem is i need a vw touran for mobility reasons and they dont do the damn things in 5 seater models, only 7 seats :( 

Tony.

• Haha 1

I have no spare nor space for one in my bmw - the batttery lives in the space. 

Went to America in October and we found out the spare and jack and any gunk had been removed when we had a puncture- in the sidewall with the nearest replacement 80miles away in cedar city. The local tyre place refused to repair it due to its location and 3 tins of the gunk didn’t seal it. Our landlord had a repair kit and we repaired it and we did get to cedar city. It was a bit hairy as much of the route had no phone signal either. 

When I had my Land Rover I did 174000miles in 7years and had 2 punctures - both when off road - both times I had a spare - in fact I carried two when off road as did most of us that went. 

I carry the spare in my Vitesse along with a scissor jack etc. 

Better to carry a few pounds of extra weight and feel smug, than waiting on the roadside for a few hours feeling like a daft lad. 

i offered to show some work people(men and women) who wern't confident at changing wheels how to do it... just in case.

no one wanted to learn, they would rather wait hours to let someone else get their hands dirty, instead of being back on the road in 10 mins......

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

One of the Peugeot brochures my Dad had a few years ago clearly stated that they could not supply a particular model with both sun roof and spare wheel as the combination of the two would take the vehicle as supplied into a different emissions bracket. However, the spare wheels were available as an after market accessory...

Gully

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 22:44, poppyman said:

No place to put one in my VW  :(  Not even a jack or wheel brace, just the blow and stop where you are kit..............

Tony. 

same with our GTE, bloody great battery (its a hybrid) in the way...

But do have a pair of gloves and some spray stuff to put in the tyre...

mike

Oh and I have run flats on the BMW - which are fine - except they make the ride even harder than proper tyres would do.

But they do work - I had a puncture in one (Actually probably due to being run flats as you can't see the tyres going flat) which basically the steel rim which forms the run flat, had worn the edge of the tyre down to the canvas on the inside - found when I pumped some gunk in it and found the wires poking out - got the tyre to about 25psi with it hissing like a good un - rang up Kwik fit - who had one in stock - but were about 20miles away and closed in 30 minutes - to be fair to them, they would stay open if I arrived late - but I got there with no real drama -tyre got to about 5psi  - a wrecked tyre - but it was anyway - but the rim was ok.

I carry a spare wheel/tyre, a can of Lidl tyre repair gunk, rubber gloves, jack, wheel brace. You can bet your life that when I need to use it all something will be missing, there will be no mobile signal or my phone battery will be flat! No matter what precautions you take, something will always beat you. Such is life.

On 28/12/2018 at 14:40, Bordfunker said:

I do about 500 miles a week for my commute, mainly M40/M25 and every day see people stranded on the hard shoulder with a flat waiting for the RAC/AA/Greenflag, and while I appreciate that it is not always safe to change a tire on the hard shoulder, there have been goodly number of occasions where it was but they were either lacking a spare or the knowledge to change a wheel.

Average time before a car gets hit on the hard shoulder..... 11mins.  Don't do it unless you've got a lookout. 

I'm pretty sure - no, strike that, I'd stake quite a lot of money on that 11 minute figure being one of those ghastly zombie statistics that arise when somebody who has more of a vested interest than any understanding, publicly misquotes what they thought they heard somebody else tell them in answer to a totally different question.

I could possibly believe that somebody, somewhere, on a hard shoulder beside one of the thousands of miles of UK motorway network, gets hit roughly every 11 minutes during the peak rush hour on the worst breakdown day of the year, although even that is a massive over-estimate of incidents based on the link @Anglefire posted. However, that's a massively different thing than what gets quoted. Just think how many people were on a hard shoulder at the time. Then multiply that 11 minutes by that number of people. And multiply by another 20 or so to account for the traffic variability. Then you have a reasonable "average time before YOU get hit". And it's VERY LONG.

Having spent 20 years commuting on the M40 I have never actually seen a vehicle on the hard shoulder being hit, which I would have thought was statically impossible if a car was hit every 11 minutes on the hard shoulder.

Doing anything on the hard shoulder is dangerous, but is it more dangerous to spend 10 minutes changing a tire than spending 90 minutes in the same spot waiting for the breakdown services?

Karl

There are real statistics that show the danger of the hard shoulder for those who work on them from the Road Workers Safety Forum .

http://www.rowsaf.org.uk/

While 'only' up to one or two are killed every year, about 30 are seriously injured.   It's one of the most dangerous places to work, and these guys are trained to work there,  'protected' by their HiViz, cones and flashing lights.

Last year I needed the RAC for the last few miles of my trip back from Classic Le Mans.     I put out my triangle and waited, leaning on the motorway fence, twenty feet from the shoulder.    The recovery man was insistent that I did not help him, "for your safety".   All I could do was look out for him , and although none arrived via the hard shoulder, I was aghast at how almost no vehicles, from cars to heavy goods, took any avoiding action at all.     They just ploughed on in the first lane at full speed, despite us being visible for at least half a mile.

John

As I'm currently helping a mate with a low-loader recover accident damaged cars I can confirm that people will drive past at full speed, despite yellow coats and orange flashing lights; furthermore they will hurtle right up to the car that is being winched onto the flatbed, brake at the last minute, then indicate (if they even do that) to move out around. Often this is after passing Police cars with full blue lights on, closing the lane. Once around the carefully angled Police vehicle, they then swerve left and re-enter the same lane again, whilst watching the Police car in the mirror and wondering what it was doing there....!

While the one way system in our town funnels all emergencies into it, with A&E at one end. so on that direction it's common for something with Blue'n'Twos on coming up behind.   I've ;ost count of the times I've gone up onto the pavement (slowly, taking care for walkers) so tha the ambulance can get through - to have the idiot behind overtake me and drive up to the car that was in front!     In Germany, driving schools teach the "Rettungsgasse" discipline, that if an autobahn is staitionary, you pull towards the in or outside, to leave a "rescue corridor" down the middle, because an ambulance is on its way, even if you can't see it.   Our Highway Code, para 219 recommends the same on all roads, when a blue light is seen, but as we know, who has read the Higway Code?

John

• Like 1

one range of our old 50 series vans had a humongous folding jack handle so you could jack the van from the safer side of the hard shoulder

but you needed a telescope to see the jack  more than 8ft away  ( the old ideas had some thought but it was never applied to the chassis cab version??? ) 

tyre inflator cans in aldi this week £4.99p

Pete

I had travelled  about 30 miles on the M6 when a slight  vibration set up from the rear of the car-  barely noticeable.

The day before ,and about forty miles earlier , I had had 2 new front tyres fitted and the rear ones checked and deemed to be in good order.

I just slowed off, and  as I did so the vibration became suddenly much   worse. As I headed towards the hard shoulder I was “ undertaken “ by the  entire outer circumference  of the nearside rear tyre  which continued on its way before  veering  right  and finally bouncing off the central reservation barrier.

Little of the tyre remained on the wheel,  which surprisingly was undamaged.

I had a spare wheel -a tyre inflation kit would have been of little use!

I have no idea what caused the incident , though on reflection I vaguely recalled a tinkling sound as I ran over  something  in the nearside lane, a bit like a bit of a drinks can or something, about 15 mins earlier.

I now have a tyre monitoring system...

3C263DB9-4DC3-429E-AA03-15924BAE8FA2.thumb.jpeg.7addb8f9a8c8ae09ec304e9a5f81804e.jpeg

I could show you an identical photo!! My wife's tyre overtook her on the A1, my daughter looked over and said "there's someone's wheel".... it was theirs from the horsetrailer they were towing.... exactly the same as yours. Two sides remaining on the wheel while the rest was history. You're lucky if that was on the actual car you were driving!