Disc

bodger

Postman,

Quote "Drilled discs are generally more prone to heat checking and thermal cracking if used consistently at extremely high temperatures."   https://www.racetechnologies.com/article/how-do-disc-face-types-affect-brake-performance

And that is the website of a company selling brake discs! 

To widen your experience, please read: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-pros-and-cons-of-different-brake-disc-designs/   Quote, "those holes can become stress points, potentially leading to cracking during heavy braking."

Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean that it's not true.

John

Yes, obviously JohnD. The above is pretty much a description of race conditions where almost every component is tested to it limits and failures go with the territory. A clue in the company name 'Race Technologies'. I said it's not happened to me which is rather different to 'haven't heard of it'.

Of course a drilled hole 'can' become a stress point, no argument. Incidentally I've drilled my own discs in the past (only a couple of times, as they've never failed) and put a shallow countersink on each hole.

Down to personal choice as is engine tuning, suspension tuning etc. If you desire improved performance there is likely to be a downside.

Hi,
"Drillings are complete borrocks"
Wrong & incorrect.
Fitted to my 206CC & now when I brake in the rain at motorway speeds my car slows down as intended.

"Slots are complete borrocks."
Wrong & incorrect.
I have 10mm thick Disks fitted to my Spit6. They are 1mm deep. Would be foolish not to have them in my case.

Iain.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ahebron said:

What is interesting with brakes these days is that discs are almost as consumable as pads, 2 or 3 sets of pads to 1 set of rotors.

Drums go on forever!

I reckon 2 sets of pads does it. But with pads lasting 40K that isn't pad.

My record for wearing a set of pads out was on my vitesse, locally supplied from a motor factor, they lasted about 4k of everyday driving, and were not very good either. That is when I started using NoS pads, probably mid 1990s. They last well and don't seem to wear te discs.

Saying that, my spitfire does get driven hard (trackdays, some alpine adventures, Stelvio is very hard on brakes if driven enthusiastically) and the ds2500 pads are less than half worn in about 20K, (capri vented) discs still look new. Pads are over £100 a set though! 

2 hours ago, ahebron said:

What is interesting with brakes these days is that discs are almost as consumable as pads, 2 or 3 sets of pads to 1 set of rotors.

Drums go on forever!

Thats a fair point- my daily - a Skoda Superb - has done nearly 52k miles and is on the same pads and disks - and it is the rear disks that are going to need replacing in the not too distant future - pads are actually ok - though obviously would be changed at the same time.

My disco would generally do two pad changes to one disk change. Fronts I got down to 1 1/2hours for a full disk and pad change from starting to getting the tools back in the garage - about 1/2 that for a pad only change. Rears took another 1/2 hour or so as the handbrake needed cleaning and adjusting to avoid issues.

modern discs as softer to get the grip and pads more aggressive to get the braking and abs stopping power demanded these days 

not like old discs that can last 50 years as many have found 

i would be interested in how reducing the swept area with holes and  grooves  makes any use in normal conditions 

its not a idea promoted by many modern manufacturers cars 

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

I would be interested in how reducing the swept area with holes and  grooves  makes any use in normal conditions 

its not a idea promoted by many modern manufacturers cars 

But heavily promoted by motorbikes and even bicycles as 'sporty'... looks like a lace doily but might explain why bicycles never stop at red lights or junctions?

kawasaki.jpeg.acafabb7ece0ab1ca06abaab2e0807fc.jpeg

• Haha 1

Colin, I think you'll find that the "little perforations" (was that a tea-bag advert?) are for lightness. Disc brakes on bikes are still heavier than rim brakes. But whereas they give reliable braking off-road in muddy conditions, I believe they're just being needlessly pushed into the on-road market by the manufacturers. They want us to buy new bikes - this years model - and make it more likely we'll throw the bike away when something small fails.

Cheers, Richard - who DOES stop at red lights (bike and car)

4 hours ago, rlubikey said:

believe they're just being needlessly pushed into the on-road market by the manufacturers. They want us to buy new bikes -

They are becoming more and more common at professional level, the Tour de France is one case, this is despite the fact that changing wheel due to a flat takes more time.

Marketing or real advantage ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You mean like EVs?? (thread drift alert - he's doing it again!!)

Just because it is thread drift doesn't mean it isn't valid. If this thread drifts enough it could 'collide' with the other and they would disappear in a puff of electric blue smoke 🤔

Does sound a bit like something from a 60`s Danish (Ahem) "naughty" film.? One Ship steward had a nice line in 8mm Scandinavian film stock. His other "venture" was Lunch time picture shows in the Crew Mess for the Dockers at 2/- a head. One might say very entrepreneurial?.

Pete

11 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Wasn't 'Electric Blue' a dubious magazine from the 70's, or just a line from a Bowie song?

The tiny grey cells have joined the dots and come up with Electra Glide in Blue, a not very good film, but more importantly a Harley Davidson.

electraglide.PNG.db95b1dd5e77ca4e58a052b574d4836f.PNG

Doug

I do wonder if motorbikes and pushbikes have holes in the discs because of the thinness of the discs and metallurgy.
I recall my old BMW with solid discs would warp the discs but my newer BMW has holes in the discs and dont warp as much. Might be barking up the wrong forest here 

"warping".  How did that show itself?   Was there actual run out at the rim of the disc, or was it more a sensation of vibration or grabbing?   The second is due to brake material being imprinted into the disc surface. Usually caused by sitting with the brakes in when they are hot, and the alloy of the disc affects how likely it is to happen.

John