Home-made Tools and those you've adapted or modified. And also "tips and tricks".

Bfg

Over 55 years I've sworn at the difficulty in undoing the Small Chassis engine square headed sump plug, I just can't get enough purchase on the spanner even with the special square holed aftermarket variant., & I'm too lazy to jack the car up so working space is limited! 

So I made a 1in square extension tube around 15in long that fits vertically up the side of the engine between the chassis and engine topping out near the distributor, at the bottom a proprietary laser cut 1/2 in square hole sump spanner is bolted into the tube which when fitted to the sump plug using a lump hammer and hitting the top of the tube loosens the sump plug, easy peasy, the plug is easily slackened and removed! 

Triumph Square Head Sump Tool.JPG

• Like 1

This is less tools, more kit.

Some find that they get an oil leak, from under the nuts that secure the rocker cover.  Doing them up tighter is not the answer.

You may be familiar with the "Dowty" washer that incorporates a rubber washer into the hole In a metal one.   Rather than source and use those (they are for high pressures!) I have fitted a fibre washer that is a loose fit on the stud, with an O-ring that is a close fit.  Over that, a plain metal, steel washer that compresses the O-ring into the gap in the fibre.

Result, no oil leak at all!   See pics

IMG_20210406_173608.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It's been bugging me that all the bolts on my Spitfire bonnet stay were very loose, so I tightened them and shortly afterwards there was a gust of wind & the bonnet landed on my head. I thought this was a one off but when it happened again I realised the loose bolts were a "modification" to stop it happening. I contemplated careful adjustment to get it right but didn't want to risk another clobbering so came up with my own mod.

About 6" of plastic electrical conduit which can stay on the upper bar and then slid down tightly onto the hinge when required. 

All good now which is more than can be said for my head 🤕

IMG_20210510_134233_415.jpg

• Like 1

Seeing a diff flange tool earlier in this thread reminded me of the lever I knocked up to hold the spoked wheel adapters

It holds onto the studs/nuts in rder to tighten/loosen what's ;eft

I also made , over Christmas, a rotary table in rder to TIG weld an end plate on a tube

This used a useless redundant machine vice, A small (4") 4 jaw chuck, a length of 12mm studding and some string.

The TIG gun is a fixed positioned and when the foot pedal is pressed I start winding for 360'

All rather Heath Robinson but it works

Roger

P1030129a.jpg

P1070027a.jpg

P1070032a.jpg

34 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Cliff,

The mass of that sound deadening may contribute to the instability, and must do to the impact!

John

It certainly felt like a significant mass when it hit me on the back of the head ☹️

5 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Seeing a diff flange tool earlier in this thread reminded me of the lever I knocked up to hold the spoked wheel adapters

I also made , over Christmas, a rotary table in rder to TIG weld an end plate on a tube

This used a useless redundant machine vice, A small (4") 4 jaw chuck, a length of 12mm studding and some string.

The TIG gun is a fixed positioned and when the foot pedal is pressed I start winding for 360'

Roger

P1030129a.jpg

P1070027a.jpg

P1070032a.jpg

Quick, get it patented. Before someone rips it off.👍

Long story. Short. the Towball mounted bike rack?. Dead copy of one I made to carry 2 kids bikes, when the Caravan was attached. 10 years before it appeared on the market.

Pete

13 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Quick, get it patented. Before someone rips it off.👍

Long story. Short. the Towball mounted bike rack?. Dead copy of one I made to carry 2 kids bikes, when the Caravan was attached. 10 years before it appeared on the market.

Pete

I got my rotary table idea from a workshop rotary table so it is not new, just cheap.

I did see a video clip of a chap using a lathe on a very slow speed to do the same. My lathe takes forever to change speeds.

As for the spanner I'm sure it has already been done.  But they are fun to use.

Roger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Roger

P1070032a.jpg

Very clever.
At first glance (0530 in the morning) I wondered why you used a hammer as the handle and surely it would hit the bench.
Second glance how does the string rotate it when it is pulling on the same shaft.

After brain starts to work it all become nice and clear, and I do like the sort of fleet control string tensioner.

2 hours ago, ahebron said:

Very clever.
At first glance (0530 in the morning) I wondered why you used a hammer as the handle and surely it would hit the bench.
Second glance how does the string rotate it when it is pulling on the same shaft.

After brain starts to work it all become nice and clear, and I do like the sort of fleet control string tensioner.

The string pulls on one side and releases on the other. In reverse the other string pulls and the previous puller releases.

Sorry for the cluttered pic.

Roger

8 hours ago, ahebron said:

Never apologise for a cluttered work bench. It is in its natural state.

Adrian

I was shamed into clearing mine a while back by the gang here... it was clutter free for a day or two and is now back almost to the way it was before. As you say, the natural state...

C7EF4477-0859-4BB9-BA70-8DD3B702FE31_1_105_c.jpg.e63b6f4bb61e5816aaf35e89f85824d7.jpg  D69C8869-95FC-4D86-A74E-04993733824C_1_105_c.jpg.2c9624b144e0b078a5d3b1c3cf62d03b.jpg

Clutter needs to be refreshed other wise it gets stale and we can then find things we misplaced. By clearing your bench therefore refreshing the clutter we have a chance to newly misplace items and spend hours trying to find them but in doing so we come across other items we had forgotten about.

I think the modern interpretation of this is when we start to research something on the internet and then fall down a rabbit hole and find ourselves looking at stuff we never knew existed.

• Like 2

On 11/05/2021 at 12:38, Badwolf said:

Tidy bench - Tidy mind

Cluttered bench - Cluttered mind

Empty bench - ?????????, Oh yes please.

I was always puzzled by such sayings -  What is a “tidy mind”  or a “cluttered mind “ ?

“Take some pride in your work, boy !”

“But doesn’t ‘pride come  before a fall’,  sir ?”
” Shut up”

“Cleanliness  is next to... ? “

” Goldilocks ?”

”Stupid boy!”

4 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Ah yes, but you never expect the Spanish Inquisition.

I always wanted to be a lumberjack as could not build a shrubbery for the knight's that say...... still there's always the ........ chair. There are one main reason, there are two main reasons, there are three main reasons. Im off to walk in the silly way. Spam spam spam.

Thank god thats over, and now for something completely different. 

8 hours ago, Mathew said:

I always wanted to be a lumberjack as could not build a shrubbery for the knight's that say...... still there's always the ........ chair. There are one main reason, there are two main reasons, there are three main reasons. Im off to walk in the silly way. Spam spam spam.

Thank god thats over, and now for something completely different. 

Is this the five minute argument or the full half hour??

Tony.

• Like 2