Anyone been out in their car?

Steve P

Just been out to Screwfix.  Lots of admiring comments from the other customers in the queue.  Amazing how many people have either owned Spitfires or GT6s, or have had friends who have owned them.

Mind you, it probably says something about Screwfix customers in the middle of the day - the retired DIY brigade.

• Like 1

I've been conned!

Took Mrs Me to the rhumatologue yesterday and she was given a prescription for some more X rays, when done the rhumatologue wants to see then before deciding on any further action. Good I thought an excuse , sorry a reason, to take them over in the Herald. BUT the rhumatologue says we can just drop them in at the local pharmacy - run by her husband. DAMN! As Mrs me is having kine just by the pharmacy I don't get to use the Herald.

Not to worry I have some glasses to collect next week so guess how I'll get there.

Actually we're lucky here in that we are allowed out without restrictions of movement other than a 6pm curfew.

On 02/03/2021 at 16:00, jondhm said:

Amazing how many people have either owned Spitfires or GT6s, or have had friends who have owned them.

When my GT6 broke down on the garage forecourt I spent 4 or so hours getting it running, at least 3 of those answering questions and sharing reminiscences

"I had one of these, but a MK4" :blink:

"! had one of these, but a soft top" :blink: 

"I had one of these, an MGB" :blink: 

Finally a chap called Malcolm who said "I've got two of these" :o 

But he did!  And turned up at our next meeting in one of them. 

Garage breakdown, a great way to recruit new members!

Doug

• Like 1

not in the Triumph but in the Cactus130 and a quick blast to a garden centre on the way home via Woburn park for some deer stalking   the single track road to parts of Eversholt completely stuffed with verge parked cars and a plonker in his Range Rover with silly rubber band tyres and giant wheels had beached the beast on the verge with wheels off the deck at a nice angle to block the lane , we squeezed by and there he sat spinning wheels  

where these plonkers come from 

Pete

Unfortunately a lot of the Range Rover types think they can go anywhere in their 4x4's - but don't seem to realise physics still happens.

Wonder if he had pressed the the raise suspension button? Or put it in one of the modes that lock up the diffs? But the tyres won't help either.

You get a lot of that on the "motorhome" sites (looks skyward), The "I got stuck in a muddy field", with my front wheel drive 3.5t+ M-H. Dug in up to the axles!!. So next time park it on some cut down bread crates or similar, try reversing a bit first before you go for it, try higher gear low speed crawl. etc; But no they have to "go for it", the wheels start to spin, and dig a hole they cannot get out of without help!. But then most of the world never did physiscs at school nor anywhere else. Too busy doing "media studies" to become Media "stars".

End of rant!.

Pete

• Like 2

I love seeing the 4x4 people getting stuck and crashing them into ditches in the snow, what total prats. They need to go on a "white roading" course i think its called and learn to drive them. I am not into landrovers but i really admire the people that can get them to the back of beyond and not get stuck. The others need to stick to the school run.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, poppyman said:

I love seeing the 4x4 people getting stuck and crashing them into ditches in the snow, what total prats. They need to go on a "white roading" course i think its called and learn to drive them. I am not into landrovers but i really admire the people that can get them to the back of beyond and not get stuck. The others need to stick to the school run.....

"Chelsea Tractors"?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PeteH said:

You get a lot of that on the "motorhome" sites (looks skyward), The "I got stuck in a muddy field", with my front wheel drive 3.5t+ M-H. Dug in up to the axles!!. So next time park it on some cut down bread crates or similar, try reversing a bit first before you go for it, try higher gear low speed crawl. etc; But no they have to "go for it", the wheels start to spin, and dig a hole they cannot get out of without help!. But then most of the world never did physiscs at school nor anywhere else. Too busy doing "media studies" to become Media "stars".

End of rant!.

Pete

I had to tow a motorhome off the carpark at Kenilworth castle when I had a defender - came out very easily he just ran out of traction.

I've had some great times in my Disco - going down is sometimes easier than going up...

1DX_8308%20Canon%20EOS-1D%20X.jpg

I really, really miss mine, but I sold it in 2014 for reasons connected with work otherwise I'd still have it. Only 177000 miles on it; I put 100,000 of those on.

I towed a woman off the dual carriageway one very snowy night when her BMW got stuck; her comment was: "It's all very well for you in your big 4 x 4."

I reckon her BMW cost five or six times what I'd spent on the Disco.

DSCF2375.jpg.136bcec63b10e7c1ee571d87d4171dc3.jpg

50 minutes ago, poppyman said:

Guy who does my MoT was discussing just such things, he reckoned the problem is that all the newer 4*4 drive like cars, so people assume that they are, especially going round corners.

He said when the Discovery 3 came out loads went through hedges as the owners got it wrong.

If you met the same corner at the speed they did in the 3 in a Discovery 1 or 2 you would soil yourself so you never did.

My Disco 1 will sit all day towing a trailer at 50mph on the straight stuff, and I see great at pulling Triumphs round the garden,  but feels like it will fall over at 30mph on the twisty stuff.

I had for many years a C reg Hightop Mitsuibushi Shogun. It was fitted it with a Front mounted Tow Ball (removable). The number of Caravans that towed off wet/muddy rally sites on a Sunday afternoon was legion. 50p a throw, went ito the RNLI. one of it last big jobs was towing this:-

image.jpeg.0cb7c2a1b2e97586c1b2363ba977f63c.jpeg

Yeovil In Somerset to East Yorkshire, Got some Strange looks!.

The Shed was full of Garage stuff, and the Patio Furniture was lashed Behind the shed. Including Two flowering shrubs in Pots!. On the M1. Plod passed at great speed, then his Brake lights went on!, and he dropped back to see, Pair of them went on their way laughing.

Pete

• Like 3

I miss mine in lots of ways. I did 172k miles in 7years.  Sold with 234k on the clock.  I spent nearly 35k on fuel.  And 27k on everything else.  Including a new engine at 120k.  Worked out at 40p/mile.   
if I’d still got it it would have had another 70k or so on top and who knows what else on bits.  

My series 3 long wheel base (ex army) would pull anything. 3 full size pigs in a trailer as if there was nothing there. Would fly to 80 and sit there all day. You got used to the stearing wheel going left right as you moved along. Only sold it as it was petrol and at 12 miles to the gallon i kept running out of petrol.  The only car that would go up and down my garden in winter. One of the few cars i never lost money on apart from the running cost.

• 1 month later...

After a long lay up, finally hit the road again yesterday. Off for a hair cut. Left with hair flying in the breeze returned more like shaun the sheep. Car a bit lumpy on choke but no problems and ran lovely when warm. I must try to remember the best choke settings. After the modern autochoke...well!!! Just to prove a point, just after getting on the main road it starts raining. Do I don't I put up the hood. Be brave it will stop. It did...until I got onto another road which took me......yes you've guessed it....back under the same cloud. Two minutes later lovely sunshine. Welcome back to British (does one say that these days) open top motoring.

I intended going to Inaugural 2021 East Berks meeting last night in the car, jumped in, turned the key and........nothing. Odd as it started fine a week ago. Got the battery charger on and noticed the interior light wouldn't go out. Checked the dashboard and the door switches, all fine. It must be the rear hatch switch, then remembered a thread, "Where is the earth for the hatch heated rear window?"  I'd gone and had a look, the earth is on the rear hatch hinge bolt, same place as the as the sensor switch, I must have dislodged it. :angry: The interior light is going to have to come off together with the hinge cover to get at it. That's what you get for helping people. :( 

Doug

• Sad 1