Mk2 Engine Rebuild going into a Mk1 GT6 by a novice!

AidanT

59 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Aidan, I slipped a disc manhandling a 3.8 jag block. Saved the block but buggered my back and after suffering for 20 years had to have an operation. 

Best to ask a friend even after 4 Weetabix! 

Iain 

Unless you're Superman, lifting a Triumph 6 cylinder block alone will either prove impossible or result in injury.

Please don't try. I used an engine crane and engine stand, plus steel toe cap boots.

Nigel

I’m no power lifter but a Bare 6 pot block is liftable by one if you have to. More than I care to pick up, but I can and have done. The early straight sided ones are a bit lighter than the bubble blocks.

Easy two man lift, which is much more sensible. Once you start adding parts, especially crank, two man or hoist becomes the only way. 

Nick

23 hours ago, clive said:

(but I note many drivers don't like hitting 5000rpm, many like to stay below 3000, so why bother with a cam that is best over these figures?)

I have noticed that as well, it must be a side effect of modern engines, particularly diesels, that are programmed for massive low down torque, and a quest for minimal fuel consumption. My Vauxhall does 38/1000rpm in top. It rarely goes over 2000rpm, unless I am trying to clear the DPF.

A Triumph 4 sounds great up round 6000k, a Triumph 6 sounds even better.

Give it a go I say, you won't be disappointed 

14 hours ago, NonMember said:

When I took my Vitesse's "new" block to Ivor Searle, I struggled with two of us and a trolley to get it into my car. Having driven over there, one of their guys came out, picked it up and carried it in, just like that. He'd obviously had his weetabix.

Reminds me of my first job, we used to maintain a type of Memorex (I think It was) printer, about 60kg I think.

used to take 2 of us to lift it onto the work bench. Had a massive cast iron frame.

The guy who used to drive round picking them up would walk into the workshop with 1 under each arm.

He used to be a fire eater in a circus, so was used to pulling on the ropes to lift the big-top. Not an ounce of fat on him.

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

A Triumph 4 sounds great up round 6000k,

I run my Spitfire to 5k on occasion - not often though. But does sit happily enough between 3-4k. 

I do have a Derv and my habit is to run at lower revs - but in my youth I had a mildly tuned Nova 1.3SR - and that would redline at 7500 - and run all day (Officially!) at 6700. We a quick car for the time - about 75bhp at the wheels - but the fuel economy was dire! 

15 hours ago, Nigel Clark said:

Unless you're Superman, lifting a Triumph 6 cylinder block alone will either prove impossible or result in injury.

Please don't try. I used an engine crane and engine stand, plus steel toe cap boots.

Nigel

I picked up a 2.5PI engine from Devon about 10 years ago,it was on a farm and he loaded it in the boot of my Astra estate with a hay loader thingy,when i got home i lifted it from the boot with just a rope round it on my own,i can confirm it was HEAVY.Couldn`t do it now at 55.

Steve

1 minute ago, Anglefire said:

I have enough trouble at 55 - I'll be a right mess if I get to 75!

Believe me, it's bad enough at 65.  Not so much the memory, more the arthritis and joints that just won't do what they did.  Not sure for how much longer I'll be able to move the car trailer around unhitched - and I've still got to get the engine and 'box back into the XK140DHC yet.  The crane will lift it, but there's a lot of heavy jiggling to do...

47 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

When was the New Year? Did I miss it? 

It's an age thing, most of the time I have no idea what the day and definitely what the date is! 

I was fine up to 65 (this year) when a split pin came out and one of me wheels fell owpht..... I'm now in Atorvastatin land! 

Iain 

Is this another thread drift or am I dreaming? 

Whipper snappers I’m 76 in a month and like Iain I sometimes have to look at a calendar to check the weekday but the date nah forget that no hope that’s what my trusty 60 year old watch is for ! Fortunately my wife is extremely organised and puts everything on the calendar even when bills have to be paid and birthdays except hers never forgotten that. Oh and I remember our anniversary by the fact it’s the day in the early/mid 60’s my Sprite had to be roadworthied, funny how your mind works.
A COVID 4 month lock down really upset the date/time issue 

Today is Tuesday. I know that because it is the day l make my tablet dispenser up.

Tomorrow is Wednesday as that is he day we decide on our coming week's menus & prepare the shopping list. 

The following day is Thursday when I go shopping.

After that a blur until I have to make my tablets up again. 🤔